1. The Mahalaxmi Temple is the main and iconic attraction of Kolhapur. It was built in the 7th century by Chalukyarulers.The Mahalakshmi temple is considered as one of the six abodes of ‘Shakti’ (Goddess of Power), where one can attain accomplishment of desires.Mahalakshmi is also known as Goddess Ambabai and is one of the most worshipped deity of the Hindus. The entire temple premise has a divine attraction and one can feel and connect with the celestial power. The temple is dignified as one of the most important pilgrim sites in India and welcomes numerous devotees throughout the year.
Shalini Palace in Kolhapur
2.Shalini Palace-Shalini Palace was built during 1931-34 and named after Princess Shrimant Shalini Raje of Kolhapur.The palace, which is now a 3-star hotel, positionsmagnificently on the west bank of the Rankala Lake and overlooking its spectacular beauty.It is built from black stone and Italian marble. The palace is elegantly constructed to showcase the grandeur of the Royals from Kolhapur.
Laxmi Vilas Palace in Kolhapur
3. Laxmi Vilas Palace-The Laxmi Vilas Palace in Kolhapur is the birthplace of Rajarshi Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj. There are around six buildings in the premise and a museum that depicts the life of Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj and is another major attraction of Kolhapur.
New Palace in Kolhapur
4. New Palace-New Palacewas constructed between 1877–1884 in Kolhapur and has been one of the prime attractions for tourists. It is an architectural masterpiece built in black polished stone. Sprawled across a vast premise with a garden, fountain and wrestling ground, till date it is the residence of Chhatrapati Shahu, the direct descendent of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, the founder of Maratha Empire. The building is an octagonal shape has a tower in the middle, with a clock, which was fixed in 1877. It has an amazing museum with several age-old belonging of Maratha Empire is displayed. The majestic Darbar Hall is in the centre of the palace, which is recreated in a way to showcase the regal splendour and glimpse of Maratha history
Old Rajwada in Kolhapur
5. Old Rajwada-The Old Rajwada in Kolkhapur also known as JunaRajwada is the old palace of Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj. Within its premise lies the famous Bhawani Mandap- the famous destination for political meetings and social gathering in the historic times.The place has the nostalgic appeal and typical architecture of the yesteryears that depicts the golden years of princely state- Kolhapur.
Bhavani Mandap in Kolhapur
6. Bhavani Mandap-Bhavani Mandap is a historical monument situated in the Old Rajwada at city centre of Kolhapur. Located near the Mahalaxmi temple, it used to be a durbar (meeting venue) of the Chhatrapati Maharaja.In earlier times, the Bhavani Mandap housed the offices of various court officials and was centre of many social gatherings.
SiddhagiriKanheri Math in Kolhapur
7. SiddhagiriKanheri Math-SiddhagiriKaneri Math also known as SiddhagiriGramjivan Museum is at Kaneri, Kolhapur district, Maharashtra, is a sculpture museum. It depicts the life of village dwellers in a sculptured format. Each sculpture seems real and represents activities performed in village daily life.
Jyotiba Temple in Kolhapur
8. Jyotiba Temple-Jyotiba Temple is a holy Hindu shrinenear Wadi Ratnagiri in Kolhapur. The temple is named after holy deity Jyotiba (Dattatreya), who is an incarnation of Tridev (Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesha) and Jamadagni. The temple is situated at a height of 3124 feet above sea level and is dedicated to Jyotiba (Dattatreya). Every year there is a huge fair on the day of Chaitra Purnima, when a big fair is held attended by several devotees.
Rankala Lake in Kolhapur
9. Rankala Lake-Rankala Lake is a picturesque natural lake in Kolhapur, which is situated close to the Mahalaxmi Temple. It is named after the name of Rankabhairav temple which is believed to be submerged at the centre of the lake. There are many mythological tales about the lake. There is a walkway on south-east bank of the lake which also has sitting areas for the leisurely time. There are local fast food stalls, horse-riding and boating activities available at the, which is also a part of tourist attraction. So, what are you waiting for? Plan your trip to this amazing city of Maharashtra and get a lifetime experience of witnessing historic and religious evidences. You can also shop your heart out and impress your friends and family with lot of gifts. It is a must visit place in Kolhapur
To know more about place in Kolhapur: